The 2018 Campbell Family Distinguished Achievement Award
Co-Honorees: Steve Blass and Kent Tekulve
- Steve joined the Pirate TV and radio broadcast team in 1983 as a part-time color commentator, earning full-time status in 1985.
- In 2005 he chose to limit his commentator duties exclusively to home game broadcasts, an schedule he still follows to this day.
- Active in Pirate Alumni Charities, Steve is primarily engaged in supporting UPMC’s Family Hospice and Palliative Care program.
- Teke was a member of the Phillies broadcast team from 1991 through 1997.
- After a stint with the Washington (PA) Wild Things organization and a few years as an advance scout for the Pirates, he joined the Pirates broadcast team as a pre-game and post-game analyst from 2008 until his retirement at the end of the 2017 season.
- He took a hiatus from broadcasting in 2014, spending 8 months on a waiting list culminating in a successful heart transplant operation at Allegheny General Hospital on September 6, 2014, claiming it as the “greatest save” in which he was ever involved.
- Current President of Pirate Alumni Charities, Teke is primarily active in support of the Pittsburgh area March of Dimes program.